Update Java on your computer. By far the most common problem with the Download Manager is if your computer does not have Java, or its version of Java is out of date. This is super easy to fix.
For Windows users, the free installer is at http://www.java.com/getjava/.
For Mac users, download Java directly from Apple at one of these links, depending on your version of Mac OS X:
Java for Mac OS X 10.6
Java for Mac OS X 10.5
Java for Mac OS X 10.4
Java for Mac OS X 10.3
Follow these instructions to update Java on your computer, and in most cases our downloader will work right away.
The .jnlp file tells our downloader to launch, which will deliver your music files. If you see a window like the one to the right, select "Open With," check the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" box, then click OK, and the downloader should launch.
If you are not being given the opportunity to open the .jnlp file, but only save it instead, then it’s most likely that you need to tell your computer to open .jnlp files with Java’s Web Start utility.
How to fix this depends on whether you are on a Mac or PC. In either case, look for a .jnlp file on your desktop. If there isn't one, ask to download a session, and when prompted, save the .jnlp file - don't open it. On a Mac:
- Right-click on the jnlp file and select Get Info.
- In the middle of that window is an item that says “Open with.” Click on that; at the bottom of that list it says “Other…” - click on that.
- Then navigate to Applications > Utilities > Java and select “Java Web Start.”
- Finally, click the “Change All” button, then click “Continue” on the “Are you sure…” window that pops up.
On a PC:
- Right-click on the jnlp file and select Properties.
- Click the “Change” button next to “Opens With.”
- Look for “Java(TM) Web Start Launcher” in the menu. If it's not there, click Browse and navigate to Program Files > Java > jre6 > bin > javaws.
- Check the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” box.
For more information on this topic here are two good pages:
Change which program opens a certain file on a Mac
Change which program opens a certain file on Windows
You should click on “Allow” here. “Daytrotter” is our downloader. It needs your permission to create folders and save downloaded music files in them.
We also recommend that you check the box to allow all applications signed by Daytrotter. That way you’ll only have to answer this question once - on future downloads the downloader will launch automatically.
This is pretty rare, and it means one of two things. Either your web browser uses a proxy server, or the downloader is being prevented from contacting our servers by a firewall.
In the first case, check your browser's proxy server settings, and set the proxy server settings in our downloader to match them. Here's how to check your browser's proxy settings:
In Safari: Preferences > Advanced > Change Proxy Settings
In Firefox (Mac): Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > Network, and click on the “Settings” button in the Connections box.
In Firefox (Windows): Tools > Options > Advanced > Network, and click on the “Settings” button in the Connections box.
In Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet Options > Connections, and click on the LAN settings button.